Home Cookin ~ Canning ~ Baking








Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Juicy Lucy Burger


One of my husbands and my favorite restaurants serves a burger called the Juicy Lucy! It is a large burger stuffed full of melted Cheddar cheese! It is one of my husbands favorite things to eat; just look at these pictures and you can see why!

My husband and I love watching shows about food and have recently fell in love with a show called "Man vs. Food". If you haven't seen this show then you have to check it out! It plays on the travel channel. So we were watching this show together and we seen a segment about juicy Lucy's, my husband and I both got the idea at the same time. We can do this! Yes lets make some Juicy Lucy's!!!

And so we did just that and oh my goodness did they come out perfect! Okay in all honesty, I didn't actually eat one, I hate ground meats and especially hamburgers. But I did invite my brother over and tested this recipe out on him and my husband! One good thing about men is that they are honest when its about food! They both raved about the burgers; which I had already guessed it was a hit when they ate every last bite! Makes 2 burgers.

If you are a burger fan then you have to give this recipe a try! You will love it! Just look at all that cheesy goodness!

Juicy Lucy Burger

Burger:

  • 1 pound extra lean burger
  • 1 medium egg
  • about 1/4 cup bread crumbs (you may need a little more)
  • 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 2/3 cup cheese, shredded and packed tightly (use any cheese you prefer. I used extra sharp cheddar.)

Optional Toppings:

  • 2 hamburger buns
  • 2 slices of cheese
  • 2 lettuce leafs
  • 2 slices of tomato
  • sliced onion
  • ketchup
  • mustard
  • pickles

To prepare the burgers, combine the ground burger, egg, bread crumbs, Worcestershire, pepper, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Mix well using your hands to really combine all the ingredients. If the burger meat isn't holding together then add a little more bread crumbs until the burger holds together and shapes into patties easily.

Shape the burger meat into 4 even patties (because there is little fat in this burger the patties will not shrink much). Divide the shredded cheese into two 1/3 cup servings. Tightly shape the cheese into slightly flatten balls. Place a cheese ball in the center of a patty; there should be at least 3/4 inch of the patty circling around the cheese. Place another patty on top of the cheese ball. Tightly pinch the sides of the two patties together. Make sure there are no gaps or the cheese will leak out while cooking. Carefully shape the patty to smooth out the pinched sides, being careful not to break the seal. Do the same with the other two patties and cheese ball.

Grill the burgers on the BBQ trying not to handle the meat too often (this will help prevent the burger form opening and spilling out all the yummy cheese!). It is normal if a little cheese leaks out while cooking; only be alarmed if it is gushing out. Once the burgers are almost done top with additional cheese slices. Cook until the cheese melts and until the burger is cooked to your desired doneness.

Serve hot burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and condiments. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! These look delicious.
    I guess Mike stopped by Josh's the other day and was telling him about the burgers.
    I have them on my menu for next week, I'll let you know how they turn out. I might have to move them to this week, they look amazing!!
    Sheena

    ReplyDelete